This is such a delicious salad! Tart granny smith apple, crunchy toasted pecans, tangy dried cranberries, sweet pear and a zingy dressing make this one of my new favorites. It came together very quickly.
- 1 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 Bosc pear, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 granny smith apple, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- freshly grated cheddar cheese or crumbled goat cheese
- In a small non-stick skillet over medium heat toast the pecans, occasionally shaking the pan, until golden and fragrant. About 5 minutes.
- While the pecans are toasting put the shallot and next 6 ingredients including the vinegar in a bowl and whisk to combine. Continue whisking and stream in olive oil until emulsified.
- In a large salad bowl place the lettuce, follow with pecans, fruit and cranberries. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Place half of the salad on each of 2 plates, sprinkle with cheese, and serve.
I ate only half of this salad for dinner one night. I did not dress the salad all together. I placed each different component in separate ziplock bags and brought them to work the next day. I wrapped the halves of the pear and apple and brought those separately and chopped them up when I was ready for lunch. It came out perfectly.
Makes 2 servings. Adapted from All You, November 2013.