A few weeks ago I ate some shrimp tacos that I enjoyed immensely at a local restaurant. A pub. A pub that has some really darn good pub food that’s a little above the usual. The tacos stood out to me on the menu because I wanted something a little lighter. And I admit-I was intrigued that they were even on the menu-stuck in there between the fish and chips and the (really amazing sounding I’ll have one next time) cheeseburgers. And the tacos were just right-a bit hot, a bit cool, a bit tangy, a bit warm and cold and they were the perfect size. I thought about them for days. It’s funny where you find your favorite version of something isn’t it?
So after that I was on a mission. A mission to make them at home for a fast weeknight meal that is as delicious as it is easy to make. And here you have it. I know that the list of ingredients SEEMS long but it’s really not and I’d bet you have most of the ingredients on hand already. I broke the list up into which components they belong with so it’s a snap to put this together. No kidding-30 minutes or less start to finish. Plus eating time of course 🙂
Tangy Spicy Shrimp Tacos
*Spicy Cream Sauce:
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/8 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice from 1/2 lime
*Dressing for Shrimp and Slaw:
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1&1/2 tsp sriracha
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- 1&1/2 cups packaged cole slaw mix (veggies only)
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 3 tbsp diced fresh mango
- kosher salt
- 4-5 small soft flour taco shells
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- sliced avocado
- thinly sliced red onion
- freshly grated monterey jack cheese
- fresh cilantro
- Put all ingredients for the Spicy Cream Sauce in a small bowl and stir until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Put all ingredients for the Dressing in the bowl of a small food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and add 2 tbsp of the Dressing. Stir to coat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl toss the cole slaw mix, mango, red onion and the remainder of the Dressing. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, until opaque-about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate, chop into small bite-sized pieces.
- Microwave the soft tacos for about 15 seconds. Put a bit of the Spicy Cream Sauce down the middle of the taco, then cheese, then shrimp, slaw and top with the avocado, onion and cilantro. Fold the sides up and secure with a tooth pick. Repeat for each taco.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4-5 small soft tacos. Dressing for shrimp and slaw courtesy of foodnetwork. The rest and assembly is all mine.