It’s official. I love my slow cooker. I was looking around online for a new recipe and came across a chicken recipe for the slow cooker. I adapted it a bit and the recipe below was born. Really easy and super tasty. The chicken in this recipe was really nice and moist, easy to shred and the veggies, herbs and spices are just right for a great balance of taste.
I like that this can be made in either 6 hours or 10 hours (great for weeknights after work). I would assume it freezes well but we didn’t have enough left to try.
I made a burrito/taco bar including sliced avocado, sliced tomato, lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa and large tortillas. Husband at his like tacos and I made burritos out of mine and put them on the panini press to heat and make the tortilla crunchy. YUM! I had 2. I was a pig. But they’re GOOD! And since it’s pretty low cal and low fat and since I used fat free sour cream and low fat cheddar cheese I didn’t feel so bad.
Santa Fe Chicken for the Slow Cooker
- 1&1/2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 4 oz can green chilies
- 10 oz frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
- salt to taste
- Fat free Sour Cream
- Low Fat Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated
- Ripe tomatoes, sliced thin
- Avocado, sliced thin
- Place everything except the chicken listed in the ‘chicken ingredients’ in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken on top of the combined ingredients.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours. 30 minutes before serving shred the chicken with 2 forks (you don’t need to remove the chicken from the cooker-just stick your forks in and shred). Stir it all back together and let it all come together for the remaining 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is finishing cooking prepare the taco/burrito bar and lay out toppings.
- Serve on tortillas with toppings.
Adapted from skinnytaste.com.