I admit I’ve never had a burrito bowl. I hear a lot about them but never actually ate one. I mean I guess, essentially, it is just really a salad of sorts but with the contents of a burrito without the actual burrito. Ok.
So for this month’s swap with the Mexican theme hosted by Sarah at http://tasteofhomecooking.blogspot.com I was given the burrito bowl from Jenni’s blog doughseedough I was pretty excited. It looked delicious and I love burritos! It didn’t disappoint. What a great recipe. It came together pretty quickly (it took less than an hour including all prep and rice cooking from start to finish on a weeknight) and was just good all around. Jenni’s recipe called for brown rice but since I’m not really a fan I used white. I also added some green chilies and corn. That’s what was so nice about her recipe-the ability to add or remove something to taste easily. So go make one to your taste!!!
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 1/2 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped small
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast trimmed of fat and cut into evenly sized strips about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp granulated dried onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Goya Salsita Chipotle sauce (optional)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped small, guts removed
- 1/4 red onion chopped very small
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can green chiles, drained and rinsed
- Fat free sour cream
- Freshly grated cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Hot sauce (same as above or different)
- Cook rice according to package instructions. When cooked stir in half of the cilantro, half of the lime juice and half of the lime zest. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the chili powder and other spices through the italian seasoning and set aside.
- In a skillet set over medium/high heat warm the oil. When hot add the chicken and cook until cooked through. Place the chicken on a cutting board and chop into small pieces. Put it back into the same pan.
- Into that pan add the spices from step #2 and stir to combine for a minute until spices are fragrant. Into the same pan add the beans, corn and chiles and lower heat to medium/low to heat the new ingredients and stir to evenly distribute the spices. If desired add a few splashes of salsita for a kick.
- In another small bowl mix the tomatoes, the remaining cilantro, zest and juice of the lime and the onion and stir. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Assemble your bowl! Start with some rice on the bottom, some chicken and bean mixture, some of the tomato mixture and top with whatever you’d like!
I made mine this way: rice then chicken mixture then grated cheese (so it would melt-YUM), tomato mixture, sour cream. I sliced half of an avocado and put the pieces around the plate.
This recipe makes about 2 medium sized soup bowl’s worth.
Check out the other great swap recipes here: