Years ago , I believe it was for my wedding shower (must’ve been 2005), I received a slow cooker. It was from our registry, a Cuisinart 6qt, and it was pretty and shiny. Unfortunately it had the same problems many others had with the same cooker(so I see on the Amazon reviews)-a rattling cover, steam sneaking out and running down the side of the insert into the holder and making the screws rusty. In other words-I didn’t trust it. I used it maybe twice.
So recently I bought a new one–this gorgeous DeLonghi model from Amazon and I fired it up this weekend. It’s wonderful! It cooks evenly, it’s easy to clean and it’s gorgeous looking don’t you agree? I trolled the internet looking for reviews and this one consistently got the highest marks. No rattling, no steam coming out. Just works like it says it will.
Here it is in action. I don’t have a lot of counter space but it still fits really well!!
So anyway I wanted to use the new cooker and I looked all over for a good chicken soup recipe. As always, Gina at SkinnyTaste, came through. This is my adaptation of her recipe. It was delicious!! You can make it spicy or not, up or lower the veggies and beans or use different beans. It’s very versatile. I had a variety of fixings on the side to top it too-tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, avocado and chipotle sauce too.
Note: the Salsita, chipotle powder and chili powder are all to individual taste in the recipe below.
Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Salsita (chipotle hot sauce). Goya makes it. Or you can use 1 chipotle in adobo-but be careful-they’re hot. I found the Salsita gave a bit more control with the heat.
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans corn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts (16 oz total)
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- fat-free sour cream for topping
- tortilla chips for topping
- avocado for topping
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and Salsita and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.
- To the slow cooker add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt, cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder and Salsita to taste. Serve in bowls and top as desired.