Sometimes something really great comes out of needing to make a meal when you didn’t think you’d need to. That’s where this sandwich comes in. It was so very very very tasty and so many different layers of flavor!!! And mmmmmmmm melty cheese.
I had plans for Saturday which, super-sadly, fell through due the weather being awful. Torrential rain, dangerous winds etc.. I watched the figure skating championships instead. I can’t wait for the Olympics to start in February-figure skating is probably my favorite of the winter sports. Remember that whole Nancy Kerrigan thing years ago? Lifetime made a really great (well as far as a Lifetime movie goes) about that and boy did they make it dramatic and fun to watch. I think we have some great contenders for medals this year.
I always have boneless, skinless chicken breasts frozen individually in the freezer. I buy the large family packs (they’re FAR less expensive than the 1lb packs), I bring it home, trim up the chicken, weigh it and then use my food saver to package it up. I write the date and weight on the package. Those are lifesavers on nights when you want to make something fast. In a bowl of cold water the chicken only takes a short time to defrost.
Chicken, Pesto and Mozzarella Panini
- 4oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Mrs. Dash seasoning (I use the low-sodium)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil plus 1/4 tsp
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese-cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced roasted red peppers
- 1 flatbread
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a small skilled over medium high heat heat up the 1 tsp oil and then add the chicken breast. Cook a few minutes on each side until fully cooked. Remove from the pan. Chop into very small pieces and set aside.
- Microwave the flatbread for a few seconds to loosen it up.
- Brush a thin layer of the remaining olive oil onto the flatbread and then turn it over so that the oil side is down.
- Smear the pesto onto one half of the bread, then lay down the cheese then top with the peppers and chicken. Fold the top of the bread over and gently press to make sure it’s all staying together.
- Place it on the panini press and cook until cheese is melted and bread is crisp.
- Eat immedately.
Makes 1 panini.