Years ago I remember seeing Alton Brown make a pistachio pesto and it sounded so delicious! I love pistachios and have always kept that in the back of my mind.
So recently I made some. Wow is it delicious!! You really can taste the pistachios but they don’t over-power the basil or parmesan (and if you’re a regular reader you know how I love my parmesan. Hell, if this is the first time you’re ever reading this let it be known-I love parmesan) I made quite a bit and froze 2 tbsp amounts wrapped in plastic for use whenever I want it. Enjoy!!
(sorry no photo of the plain pesto–I forgot to take one when I made it but this is a photo of it mixed into greek yogurt/cream cheese for a dipping sauce. you get the idea)
- 2 cups basil leaves, stems removed, washed, patted dry
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/3-1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- 2/3 -1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of kosher salt
- Place the basil, garlic, parmesan and pistachios into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chopped and even
- While the machine is running pour in the olive oil
- When desired consistancy is reached add the salt and pulse to combine
- Serve or freeze or refrigerate