Winner winner chicken dinner!! Not only is this chili-like soup very delicious it’s a SNAP to make!! The ingredients are similar to chili but the liquid is much thinner. Feel free to switch other beans in or use turkey. This makes 4 quarts so, in my house, enough for 2 frozen containers and 3 containers for the next few days for lunch or dinner. I think this would also be excellent with crushed tortilla chips on top or used to scoop out the soup. So versatile!! I will be making this all fall and winter!!
Santa Fe Soup
- 2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1 oz package ranch-stype dressing mix
- 2 1&1/4 oz packages taco seasoning mix
- 1 16oz can black beans, undrained
- 1 16oz can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 16oz can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small can green chilis
- 2 16oz cans yellow and white corn undrained
- 2 cups water
- Garnish: sour cream, grated sharp cheddar (not pre grated as it won’t melt properly), sliced green onions
Instructions: (I said it was really easy didn’t I? 1 step)
- Cook meat and onion together in a large stock pot until meat is browned and onion is soft. Stir in ranch dressing mix, taco seasoning into meat and stir to combine. Add remaining ingredients with juices from all. Add water. Simmer for 2 hours. If mixture is too thick gradually add additional water to desired thickness. Garnish with sour cream and/or cheese and/or sliced green onions.
Makes 4 quarts. Needs to simmer for 2 hours (but it’s worth it I promise!!)
Adapted from Recipies Worth Sharing cookbook. This is a GREAT book-all of the recipies are from various community cookbooks from all over the country. This particular recipe is from the community cookbook Food for Thought from Junior League of Birmingham, Inc. Burmingham, Alabama.