There’s that saying ‘even the best laid plans’……..well that’s what happened last night. I was all set to go home after work and grill chicken, slice avocado, slap some bacon and pesto and cheese on a delicious toasted roll and enjoy a great sandwich for dinner. Not so much. My supermarket didn’t have any more of the rolls I wanted, my avocado had passed it’s ‘edible’ stage and I screwed up the pesto. So that sandwich never happened. It sill sounds really good so I will make it sometime.
What I ended up with instead was DELICIOUS!! Grilled chicken, melty white cheddar, tangy BBQ sauce, crispy bacon and delicious toasted french bread. Really simple yes but really YUM!!!! After one bite I wasn’t sorry the other sandwich hadn’t worked out. BBQ sauce always reminds me of the west for some reason-like John Wayne riding into the sunset shooting his rifle into the sky as he goes. So that’s why I named this sandwhich what I did. Enjoy!!
Cowgirl Chicken Sandwich
Ingredients (for 2 sandwiches):
- 1 large chicken breast (boneless, skinless) about 1/2 lb cut into 2 even 1/4 pieces (give or take with the weight)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 6 pieces cooked bacon (2 &1/2 for each sandwich, 1 for the dog 🙂
- white cheddar cheese sliced thin-as much as you want
- Sweet Baby Ray’s bbq sauce-as much as you want
- Pieces of french bread cut in half length-wise or kaiser rolls
- Preheat grill pan or grill or panini press or whatever you’ll use to cook the chicken.
- Season the chicken on both sides with S&P and set aside until the cooking vessel is ready.
- Cook the bacon and set aside (and give that one piece to your dog 🙂
- Cook until about 30 seconds from being done then top with the bbq sauce and then the cheese. Since I used my panini press I closed the lid but let it just hover over the chicken to melt the cheese and heat the sauce.
- Put a little sauce on the bottom piece of bread, top with chicken, place the bacon on top of the chicken, add a little more sauce if you want, and then put the top piece of bread.
- Eat it!