Sometimes you just want a nice big sandwich. I found the original recipe on Melissa’s great blog http://iwasborntocook.com/ in the Top Posts of 2012 post and I immediately printed it out. I adapted it a bit with the cheese and rolls. Slow cooker on Sunday? Yes. Sausage, onions and peppers on a roll? Yes. And I added the cheese. Super easy, super yummy. Would be great for football-watching days.
Sausage, Onions & Peppers in the Slow Cooker
- small amount of oil for browning
- 3lbs Italian Sausage (I used 2 lbs hot and 1 lb sweet but use any combo you’d like) cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 bell peppers, cut into thin strips (I used 2 red and 1 green)
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- sandwich rolls (mine were hot dog sized from Hot & Crusty). You’ll need substantial rolls to hold up to the sauce and contents.
- provolone cheese
- In a large skillet heat a bit of the oil and brown the sausage on all sides. (This may have to be done in batches) Then place sausage in slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for at least 4 hours.
- Half rolls, place cheese on either one or both sides, and toast until the cheese melts. Spoon sausage mixture onto rolls and enjoy.
Note: my slow cooker is a 5qt and it was just about to the top of the insert so if you have a smaller cooker I’d make less.