You know why this is a crappy photo? Because for 4.5 hours I’d been smelling this beef cooking in the oven. Quite frankly I was in such a hurry to eat it that I didn’t care how the photo came out. I took a bite and took a picture. That should give you a clue about how awesome this smells. I have to tell you-it tastes even better.
- 3 lbs beef eye of round or bottom round roast, all fat trimmed
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- salt and pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- Pre-heat oven to 275f.
- Place garlic, onion, lime juice, cumin, oregano, chipotles and cloves in a bowl and use immersion blender to liquify (or use blender or food processor).
- Trim all fat off of meat, cut into 4 large chunks. Place dutch oven on stove over med-high heat with 1 tsp oil and brown meat on all sides. Add liquified spices, bay leaves and beef broth. Cook, covered, in oven 4 to 5 hours, checking every once in a while to make sure there’s enough liquid. Once cooked shred it with two forks, discard bay leaves and adjust seasoning to taste. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes to let the liquid thicken.
- I served mine with warm tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese and guacamole to make the tacos and Gina’s cilantro lime rice and corn salsa on the side. Perfect!!! My husband made some awesome tacos with the rice, salsa and all of the toppings. It was delicious.
Slightly adapted from awesome Gina at SkinnyTaste